NEBRASKA CITY – Firefighters extinguished a fire on the roof of a 137-year-old, two-story house that is blamed on embers from a fireplace chimney.

Firefighters responded at 10:42 p.m. and could see flames towering over the neighborhood from four blocks away. Wood shingles on the roof and roof rafters burned before firefighters could extinguish the blaze. Damage is estimated at $75,000, but there were no injuries.

County records say the house, which was built in 1887,  was purchased in 2021 by Ricardo Garcia from Steven and Linda Schreiner.