Smoke Evacuates North Third Street Household
NEBRASKA CITY – Smoke from a cooking stove forced the evacuation of a north Third Street residence on Thursday afternoon.
Neighbor Renea Trombino said she was just leaving her house when she noticed smoke pouring from the front of the house next door.
She went to investigate and found the residents, including small children, gathering in the back yard. She said the family and their pets were safely outside, when firefighters arrived at 702 Third St.
Fire Chief Rob Screiner said the occupants told him they had not been cooking at the time, but he said the stove has digital controls and it is easy for there to be an error.